Check out Bob's Favorite Video!

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Big Boy Toys!



I finally made it to the point where we were ready to break out the heavy equipment. There's something about climbing aboard one of these "cool toys for big boys" that just makes the testosterone start flowing. These machines make working a lot more fun. I really should have rented a track hoe but I had two other people tell me this is what they would use and it worked great, except that you have to set the outriggers and bucket whenever you want to dig out tree stumps. It did do the job just fine and I figured that I could use the bucket to push trees and stumps around where I needed them. The trick is to clear all the brush and stumps from the edge of the drive while maintaining a clear drive to get in and out with my truck. Once I finish clearing a few more trees where I'm going to build, I am going to rent a dozier to grade the drive and bring some gravel in to finish the job. Tomorrow morning I am meeting Samuel from the DOT to get a permit for my culvert. Of course, nothing ever goes perfect. I actually rented the machine last Wednesday and on Friday I lost a bolt that holds the shear pin on the boom and the forearm almost fell off. I managed to make the repairs on my own since these things always happen late on Friday and the rental place inevitably will be closed. No problem. One hour after starting to dig again a hydraulic line blew. Fluid sprayed everywhere. Well I pulled the line off and was able to get a new one made on Saturday morning. Amazing! I thought for sure I was done for the weekend. It's difficult to find specialty places like this open on the weekend, let alone be able to make me a new line in about 10 minutes. Sandra came down on Sunday and is here for a week while the kids stay with grandma. Next Sunday is our 12 year anniversary. I'm just happy to have her all to myself for a week.






Here's a pic of the busted line, it rubbed on the frame underneath.



Check out the size of this pine tree stump. It took me a half hour to dig it out.



This is a pic Sandra took of this bird that has been following me for 5 days of the backhoe. He figured out that if he hangs around and while I do the digging, he can reap the benefits of fresh food without all the work. He stays with me everywhere I go on this machine. He's like my little Woodstock.

1 comments:

Dad said...

Wow, son, I can hardly believe you moved all the way down to Alabama! I would have never dreamt that you end up there someday. I pray all goes well for you and your family.

love Dad