We finally got back home 9 days ago. It's been a busy week of course. It wouldn't be a normal week if it wasn't. We are trying to get our lives back to a routine, at least somewhat predictable from day to day. When we went back to Michigan for what was supposed to be a week, turned into two weeks. Sandra only brought enough school work for a week and now they are trying to catch up on a week's worth of school work. Next time she is going to take twice as much as she thinks she will need, just in case. I got a call the day after I got home from a customer that I bid on back in June. I am putting a roof on his home right now. I hope to finish it by Monday. A couple of other jobs that I bid in Michigan last month have come through and I will be back once again. I don't mind making the trip to earn some dough, after all, you gotta go where the work is. It's just tough on Sandra and the kids. She likes to have everything planned out for here schedule and when mine changes, so does hers.
Last Saturday we were in Lowes to get some material to insulate and drywall the schoolhouse and there was a building class for kids going on, so naturally my kids wanted to join in. Below are some pics..jpg)
I didn't have my regular camera with me lately, so I had to use my phone. I took the SD card out of my camera to put it into my deer camera. Cody and I set up our stand a couple of weeks ago and set out a lick and a camera to see what might be on our dinner table this winter. Here's what we saw.
Does dog taste like chicken?!! If these guys are around when I'm out there we might find out!
Sandra and I insulated and drywalled the schoolhouse last weekend. We also added three more windows. It's too dark during the day for the kids to see their books. It really brightened it up. I got a good deal on two of the windows from craigslist. I had to drive 45 minutes to get them but I only paid $60 for two. We decided to heat with a portable propane heater instead of using a wood burning stove. The stove required too much space and the initial cost was a lot more. Also, if work stays consistent, we will be building the pole barn soon and we will be staying in there. We are going to heat it with a wood burner.
we got our water service put in on Thursday. It's cool to finally have water, only problem is that it's a half mile from my house! Now I need to run a water line from the service to my property. They recommended using a 1 1/2" pipe, twice what I was going to use. They said that since I was 300 feet higher in elevation than the service, that I may lose a lot of pressure. This would help reduce friction loss and provide greater volume. Otherwise, we may need a pump to help with pressure.
Sandra and I signed up at the church last Sunday to get as Jeremy says "plugged in" and "connected" with other families. I workout at the Powerhouse Gym here in town and many of the people that also workout there go to the same church, including the pastor. I met one couple the other day and the invited us to join their life group on Mondays. It's really funny to me to see how God works in my life and if your in tune to those kind of things you really can see the hand of God in your life. Before I moved here I really wanted to live in a town where my family could really connect with locals. I love living in a small town, a "Mayberry" if you will, or "Walnut Grove" for those of you a little younger, where you know everyone and everyone knows you. Just the other day I was at the gym and looking around I realized that I have seen the same folks at the same gym, same church, same China-mart, same gas station, same Waffle House, ect. over the past six months. Just then I saw my opportunity to have the kind of small town life that I always wanted, a real community feel. The benefit to being in a small community is that you have more opportunities to run into people that you "do life" with. When we attended Metro South, we would meet families that we wanted to spend more time with and connect with, but you run in different circles. You shop at a different grocery store, live in a different city, kids go to a different school, eat a different restaurants, workout at different gyms, ect. It makes it very difficult to stay in touch with each other. I don't want just a Sunday morning community, but an everyday life community.
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Settlin' in!
Posted by Robert & Sandra at 8:55 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Kind of like the church we went to in Battle Creek...it was really a nice churck, not to bid, not to small!
Dad
Post a Comment