Check out Bob's Favorite Video!

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Moving along, slowly!

Well, my week has been going in the right direction, but not without much perseverance. My trip down took an extra 2 hour due to a fatal accident on I75 in Kentucky. I still had to pick up my camper from storage and I wanted to get to Lake Guntersville State Park before dark, but this didn't happen. I hate pulling into a campground at night, especially one I've never been to before and without the help of somebody to keep me from hitting anything while trying to back into a campsite.

Here's a pic of the backup



All set up. It's cheaper to stay at the park than in a hotel. These days I have to save where I can. Hotels offer some nice conveniences but they aren't cheap.



Dinner! Mmmmm, Venison! Signs says no feeding the deer, but nothing about eating them!




I got rained out a couple of days this weeek but I made good progress on the days I was able to work. I burned some brush and cut more trees down. I started to clear a drive into our property and an area to park our camper. The idea is to have some temporary residence for the summer while we work toward finishing the road and getting power to the property. After that we will work on building a more permanent structure. My family is used to camping, but this is going to be a little more rustic than we are used to. We do have a generator and the camper is self-sufficient but there still is the issues of disposing of waste and getting fresh water. I am going back to Michigan on Thursday and will be back here on Monday after Easter. Sandra and the kids are coming down with me. This will be a good chance for a trial run.

I had some trouble getting up the drive with the camper. The Big Dog F350 4x4 Powerstroke wasn't the problem, the Alabama red clay was. I have made several trips up before this one and had no problems. Of course, it was dry. We had rain on Thursday and I was hoping the clay would be dry by Saturday. It wasn't quite dry enough. I almost made it past the first crest before spinning all 4 tires in the mud. I hit the brakes and my truck and trailor slid back down the hill about 20 feet. I was a little nervous, as I was no longer in control of the direction I was going nor when I would stop. After letting the clay dry for a few hours I was able to make it all the way with no problems.





After I cleared some trees on the property




That's one good lookin' Hillbilly!



Home Sweet Home!



Pics of Lake Guntersville



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would'nt eat thoese Alabama deer they look possessed

Mike Salyer said...

I would'nt eat that Alabama deer it looks possessed. Nice coverall you will fit right in.